Endurance


May 7, 2013

Today I learned the incredible story of Ernest Shackleton by viewing a film narrated by Kevin Spacey.  It's on You Tube if you want to check it out.

Normally, history is not my thing and certainly would not be a subject of my blog, however, this story affected me so much I wanted to share it with you.  I'll give you the very short version:

In 1915, Shackleton led a team of adventure-seeking men on the ship Endurance trying to cross Antarctica via the South Pole.  During the journey, the ship became trapped in ice.  Most would think all hope was lost.  But not Shackleton.  He took his men onto the ice and they camped there for months waiting for spring when the ice would thaw.

Unfortunately, while they waited, the Endurance wasn't freed by warmer weather.  Instead, the ship was crushed by ice and sank.  Luckily, before the ship was completely engulfed, the men were able to go aboard once more to retrieve their belongings, their sled dogs, and their life boats.  Though their situation appeared dire, they didn't give up.  They remained optimistic and journeyed on.  Their story is one of 635 days of survival.  But let me get to my point.

My point is Endurance.  Shackleton and his crew had incredible endurance.  They would not have ever survived without it.  Six hundred thirty-five days.

Sometimes we need to be reminded that we, too, have endurance.  We may not feel like we do, but it's there.  In fact, sometimes we may feel just like that ship wedged fatefully in that ice and we may just want to give up.

But we mustn't.  No, we mustn't give up hope.  I remain hopeful.  And you must too.

We each have a journey.  Probably not one that involves a ship and the ice of the South Pole, but we have one.  And our endurance will sometimes feel like it's frozen dormant inside of us, but it's there and we must find it. Dig deep for it.  Find it and use it.

Six hundred thirty-five days.  That could be the length of time my son is incarcerated.  Endurance.  I'm digging deep.


No comments:

Please share a comment